Principles of an effective online Portfolio to get you the dream JobTalentfore
With immense growth and development in various domains of the world, comes a fair amount of struggles. Undeniably there is tremendous competition among job-hunters in the current scenario. People across the globe are sparing no effort to secure a suitable job to sustain in the planet. They toil and struggle and yet fail to succeed. The question arises as to what poses as a hindrance to their failure in this regard? Where precisely the lack resides?
As the whole job hunting premise is jam-packed, it is nearly impossible for recruiters to select a suitable candidate. The candidates should get rid of the belief that the employers would go through every job application of the candidates. No, this does not happen anymore. There are uncountable applications, million talented candidates, with similar kind of skills and strengths. How in this regard would at all be possible for the recruiters to hire the best candidate? The key to getting hired would be possessing the necessary skills with the quality to stand out in the crowd. Uniqueness has become an essential quality among the employees and job seekers. Many candidates suffer from the deficiency of this quality. They fail to convey through there Resumes to the recruiters that they are suitable for a particular job and that they do possess the necessary attributes required in the position in which they struggle to get hired.
To tackle this drawback, every candidate should have an online presence apart from having an impressive Resume. They should necessarily make their online portfolio as it serves as an essential tool required to get hired. It showcases a candidate’s work, skills, strengths, accomplishments as well as plans. Therefore, one should take some time and get started with their online portfolio. This type of portfolio comes with a larger space, enough for candidates to narrate their professional span.
However, merely an online portfolio is not all that a candidate should depend upon. It should be well constructed to catch the recruiter’s eye, unique, and should have the ability to acquaint the recruiters with the necessary details about the candidate.
Let us now analyse the vital steps and principles required to create a distinctive online portfolio.
- Objective – Set a clear purpose before getting started with your online portfolio. It would be best if you visualised what you want to do in and with the portfolio. Make sure you are acquainted with the goal you want to achieve. Plan it out before actually doing the typing and designing.
- Language – If it is possible to manage in a few words, do not include too many of them. Using jargons and unwanted words and sentences will only exhaust the recruiter. Follow the “less is more” principle and success will be at your doorstep.
- Simplicity – An online portfolio should reflect the candidate’s simplicity. It will help the person who lands on your portfolio to stay in it, go through its details and eventually make them hire you easily. Keep it short and simple rather than making it look complicated.
- Good Quality Images – It is highly valuable to use images of high quality. If you are showcasing a project done by you, the impact of it will not be significant if it lacks the right images, as a picture speaks louder than words. Although you must avoid white backgrounds as blogs and online magazines do not like them. Instead, use light coloured backgrounds that would suit every project. Also, make sure that the images you are using are eye-catching.
- Context – Do not forget to add context to your work. You can also add great descriptions to all the projects you have included in your portfolio. Also, incorporate certain things like client brief and the procedure which led you to accomplish the project. Moreover, never shy away from putting in any benefits that your client appreciated and enjoyed as a consequence of your diligent work.
- Do Not Overdo – Do not try to add several works of any type. Instead, include few but noteworthy ones. Putting in many unnecessary and irrelevant jobs will drown the recruiter and compel them to click away. It will make them assume that you are only trying to show off. Too much of unwanted information will kill the interest of the employer, and it will make it difficult for them to identify your main pieces needed to approve the goodness of your work.
- An About Section – An online portfolio without an about page will not provide you good results. The recruiter will be frustrated to land on such a portfolio because a description of the person in question is one the most important things which they look forward to discovering. Therefore, add an About page and describe yourself in it with an interesting bio to sell yourself as well as your skills and experiences.
However, while formulating your bio, you must avoid trying to be smart. Do not use high-flown and flowery language instead follow a conversational but a factual mode.
- Visual Mess – Although it is essential to make the portfolio look attractive to catch the recruiter’s eyes, in this race do not litter the document. Feel free to include decorative constituents if they fit in and stand as accolades for your work, otherwise get rid of them. White space gives the impression of professionalism. Way too many visual elements will destroy the professional feel of your portfolio.
- Showcase To Sell – Do not shy away from displaying your achievements. Include the best of your qualifications, information regarding your awards (if any), involvement in any relevant and fantastic group events and projects or seminars. This will instil a sense of credibility to your portfolio and act as proof to assure them that you are the right choice for the required position. They would want to reckon that you would keep the promises you made to them.
- Precision – An online portfolio should be clear and focused. As the recruiter would not like to invest much time in just one portfolio when there are many to deal with, a candidate should start the portfolio with the best of his details to make the first impression a positive one. It should be clear enough to deliver what the portfolio is all about.
- Your story – Describe your account. Your place of birth, hobbies, your inspirations, idols, mentors: knowledge of these will help the recruiter visualise how you are as a person. However, make sure you appropriately describe your personal story. This is because the way you tell the world about yourself says a lot about the way you communicate to people.
- Perspective – Make sure you share your perspectives in your portfolio. Every human being has a different outlook towards life. The diverse viewpoints make everybody unique. Your point of view will make you distinct and stand out in the crowd. It will give a gist of your personality. Share your understanding of the world, your perspective about a particular industry, your way of working, the sources of your motivation, and more.
- Availability – Your online portfolio is meant to be viewed by all. So make sure it is accessible from all kinds of browsers across the globe. It should be both mobile-friendly as well as web-ready. When it is easy to access your profile, you already go few steps ahead towards your goal.
- Contact Details – One of the most important things to include in an online portfolio is your contact detail. Make it easy for the recruiters to reach you. Inadequate contact details will create a wrong impression, and the employers will choose not to come back to your profile again. Provide your valid and correct phone number, your email address and social media networks as well.
- Testimonials – You can add testimonials from your former clients to your portfolio, especially from those belonging to big brands. It will not only help to build your reputation but also provide the recruiters with an idea about your work ethics and what they can expect from you. However, do not add fake testimonials. Please make sure they are honest and authentic.
The sole motive of your online portfolio is to impress your clients and recruiters. It requires creativity and genuine thoughts to stand out among the crowd, so this should be taken into consideration while designing the portfolio. It would be best if you never forgot the audience. Therefore, keeping the audience in mind, a candidate must strive to make his portfolio the best of all so that the viewer get a good impression within the first few seconds and gets compelled to stick to it till the end.